Sunday, September 20, 2015

1 Cor 15:54 (Death swallowed up in victory)

"Now when this perishable puts on the imperishable, and this mortal puts on immortality, then the saying that is written will happen,

'Death has been swallowed up in victory.'"(1 Corinthians 15:54 NET Bible)

I cannot help but wonder what went through the minds of early Greeks in Corinth or Athens when Paul proclaimed the message that humans would one day "put on" immortality (ἀθανασία). For recall that the Greek gods were described as "the immortals" (Ἀθάνατοι); however, now mortals would assume immortality as a gift from God.

One question I also have about this text--although I remember the answer to my own question, I think--is what text does Paul quote in this verse. Do you remember, my friends?

4 comments:

Philip Fletcher said...

Sure, one is Isaiah 25:8,death is swallowed up forever.

Edgar Foster said...

That was the verse that came to my mind. Thanks!

guitarsatele said...

I am not sure if you are familiar with Rotherham. He has a very informative discussion of Paul's writing on 1 Cory 15 here. Here

https://rotherham2.wordpress.com/2015/09/03/the-nature-of-the-resurrection-and-afterlife-considerations/

I know its not completely related to your question but its a good read for sure.

Its me that asked a question at the end of his essay. I hadn't considered before that John didn't know who the great crowd were.

Edgar Foster said...

guitarsatele,

Thank you. I'll read this material.